Masters (MS) in Digital Mapping
Become an expert in gathering data and showcasing it through visual representations in this online program.
At a Glance
Credits and Tuition Cost (2023-2024)
Masters in Digital Mapping overview
What You'll Learn
Learn advanced techniques for creating, analyzing, and visualizing digital maps using cutting-edge geographic information systems (GIS) technology. Gain expertise in spatial data analysis, remote sensing, and geospatial database management to solve complex real-world problems related to urban planning, environmental management, and disaster response. Develop proficiency in cartographic design and interactive mapping to communicate spatial information effectively in various applications, from web-based mapping platforms to mobile apps.
- Geospatial analysis
- Geographic Information Science (GIS) principles using open source applications like QGIS and integrate these with open database protocols such as PostGreSQL/PostGIS and SQLite
- Interactive coding environments, such as Jupyter and techniques of exploratory spatial data analysis (ESDA) using the Python programming language to process geographical information
- Work in distributed and collaborative software environments using industry standard best practices such as Git and GitHub
- Build an online portfolio of interactive maps and visualizations and share code documentation written in Markdown with colleagues and potential employers
- MAP 674 Spatial Data Analysis and Visualization
- MAP 675 Collaborative Geovizualization
- MAP 701 History of Critical Cartography
- MAP 719 Social Impacts of New Mapping
- MAP 698 Final Project Preparation
- MAP 699 Final Project Implementation
How to Apply
- CV Personal Statement Please include a mapping portfolio and examples of any coding experience
- Two letters of recommendation (Only email addresses required. Our system will email them to upload their reference.)
Licensure & Authorization
Where you live matters when completing distance education activities. If you will live outside of Kentucky while completing your program, please check the Distance Learning Authorization & Licensure page to confirm that the program can be offered in your state or country, and if relevant, that it meets professional licensure requirements in your state. Please note: Admission and enrollment in a fully-online program can NOT lead to the issuance of a J-1 or F-1 student visa.AUTHORIZATION & LICENSURE INFO
Once you become a student, you will have access to a wide variety of academic support services to maximize your success. These services are available completely online to meet the needs of our online students.