Graduate Certificate in Professional and Technical Writing
Our online, nine-hour certificate program will teach you the skills you need for professional and technical writing, while also offering unique specialty courses in areas like visual communication and legal writing. The graduate certificate in Professional and Technical Writing is designed for professionals who wish to increase their marketability and advance in their careers.
At a Glance
Credits and Tuition Cost (2023-2024)
Graduate Certificate in Professional and Technical Writing overview
What You'll Learn
In this online program, you will be prepared to write in a wide variety of professional settings, including engineering, health professions, pharmaceuticals, software development, the military, and other business and organizations that employ technical writers.
- Produce stylistically correct technical and professional documents in print and digital formats.
- Write for specific genres including legal briefs, technical manuals, policy, documentation, grant applications, visual presentations, and organizational copy.
- Analyze ethical, legal, and rhetorical issues in professional and technical writing.
- Create communication tools that draw on visual skills like document and presentation design, video editing, and infographics.
- Edit with attention to style, format, grammar, and punctuation.
- Required course:
- WRD 702 Professional and Technical Writing
- Two of the following courses:
- WRD 614 Visual Rhetoric and Persuasion
- WRD 704 Technical Editing
- WRD 612 Ethical and Legal Issues in Technical Writing
How to Apply
Minimum undergraduate GPA of 2.5.
Licensure & Authorization
Where you live matters when completing distance education activities. If you will live outside of Kentucky while completing your program, please check the Distance Learning Authorization & Licensure page to confirm that the program can be offered in your state or country, and if relevant, that it meets professional licensure requirements in your state. Please note: Admission and enrollment in a fully-online program can NOT lead to the issuance of a J-1 or F-1 student visa.AUTHORIZATION & LICENSURE INFO
Once you become a student, you will have access to a wide variety of academic support services to maximize your success. These services are available completely online to meet the needs of our online students.