Bachelors (BHS) in Medical Laboratory Science
Designed for working medical laboratory technicians (MLT), this accredited online program will prepare you for clinical practice in a variety of medical laboratory settings. Coursework can be completed in as little as one year (full-time enrollment), and a part-time enrollment plan is also available (24 months).
This program accepts up to 80 transfer credit hours toward the degree. To earn your bachelor's degree (BHS) students must complete 120 credit hours.
At a Glance
Fall 2024 - application opens Jan 1 - June 1
Credits and Tuition Cost (2023-2024)
Bachelors in Medical Laboratory Science overview
What You'll Learn
Upon graduation from our NAACLS accredited program, you will be qualified to sit for the ASCP board of certification exam at the Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS) level. As a graduate of our program, you will be able to:
- Work independently in a laboratory setting and perform high complexity testing.
- Sign off on calibrations, quality control, and method validation.
- Deploy expertise in a wide variety of areas, including hematology, clinical chemistry, toxicology, virology, microbiology, immunohematology (blood banking), and/or molecular biology.
- Facilitate the reporting of accurate and precise laboratory results that contribute to prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of medical conditions.
- MLS 410 Medical Laboratory Biochemistry
- MLS 420 Immunology & Serology
- MLS 460 Clinical Hematology
- MLS 461 Clinical Microbiology
- MLS 480 Clinical Hematology Practicum
- MLS 481 Clinical Microbiology Practicum
How to Apply
Your current direct supervisor MUST complete the statement of support form and a recommendation form. The other two recommendation forms should be completed by professionals (additional laboratory administrator, pathologist, co-worker external to the laboratory, educator) who are familiar with your abilities.
- Provide Proof of being an MLT/CLT. This may include any one of the following items:
- Copy of MLT/CLT degree
- Documentation of MLT/CLT certification
- Letter from MLT/CLT program director
Qualified applicants may be asked to participate in a brief phone interview with MLS faculty member(s).
There are TWO steps in our application process.
Step 1: Students must apply to UK Admissions
Step 2: Complete the College of Health Sciences and MLT to MLS application.
A separate application fee of $25.00 is required for admission to the MLT to MLS online program. Your application will not be processed without the $25.00 fee. Pay the $25 application fee online.
- The application fee cannot be waived nor deferred, and is non-refundable.
- We accept Visa, Discover, American Express and MasterCard. Credit/debit cards are also accepted.
- Students must achieve an overall (cumulative) GPA of 2.5 and successfully pass all program pre-requisite courses
- An associate degree from a MLT program
- Meet the UK general education courses requirement
- Certification (BOC preferred) - if uncertified, then you must have documentation of 5 years of work experience in a MLT position within a multidisciplinary laboratory
- Current and continued employment in a clinical laboratory – prefer laboratory that offers testing in all major disciplines
The following courses are MLS program pre-requisite courses for the MLT to MLS track:
- 1 semester of general biology with laboratory
- 2 semesters of general chemistry with laboratory
- 1 semester of statistical methods
- 1 semester of human physiology (or combined course in physiology and anatomy)
Licensure & Authorization
Where you live matters when completing distance education activities. If you will live outside of Kentucky while completing your program, please check the Distance Learning Authorization & Licensure page to confirm that the program can be offered in your state or country, and if relevant, that it meets professional licensure requirements in your state. Please note: Admission and enrollment in a fully-online program can NOT lead to the issuance of a J-1 or F-1 student visa.AUTHORIZATION & LICENSURE INFO
Once you become a student, you will have access to a wide variety of academic support services to maximize your success. These services are available completely online to meet the needs of our online students.