Masters (MSCJ) in Criminal Justice
The Master of Science (MS) in Criminal Justice provides a comprehensive understanding of the integration of theory, policy, and research within leadership and administrative roles in criminal justice systems. The MS cultivates critical thinking in examining the synthesis of social and legal systems, structures, and institutions in implementing and evaluating outcomes.
UK’s program is unique in emphasizing the application of perceptual frameworks, articulating the importance of culturally relevant practice, and connecting critical examination and succinct, meaningful communication. UK emphasizes transdisciplinary processes and problem solving to ensure that graduates develop job-ready, employability skills to address and implement best practices in criminal justice settings.
At a Glance
Credits and Tuition Cost (2023-2024)
Masters in Criminal Justice overview
What You'll Learn
By the completion of the MS program, students will be able to:
- Apply theoretical, cultural, and perceptual frameworks to criminal justice practice.
- Recognize the impact of theories, policies, and scientific inquiry on implementation of services and associated outcomes.
- Identify and address systematic barriers in justice involved systems through identifying and addressing systemic injustices in the criminal justice system.
- Critically examine and employ leadership theories and skills in managing and leading criminal justice organizations.
- CJ 621 Ethics in Criminal Justice Settings
- CJ 629 Research Methods in Criminal Justice
- CJ 631 Application of Criminal Justice Theories
- CJ 704 Administrative and Leadership Practices in Criminal Justice Organizations
- CJ 712 Criminal Justice Policy and Analysis
- CJ 728 Applied Analysis for Criminal Justice Organizations
- Plus, an additional 12 credit hours of specifically targeted criminal justice related electives at the 500 level or above.
How to Apply
Licensure & Authorization
Where you live matters when completing distance education activities. If you will live outside of Kentucky while completing your program, please check the Distance Learning Authorization & Licensure page to confirm that the program can be offered in your state or country, and if relevant, that it meets professional licensure requirements in your state. Please note: Admission and enrollment in a fully-online program can NOT lead to the issuance of a J-1 or F-1 student visa.AUTHORIZATION & LICENSURE INFO
Once you become a student, you will have access to a wide variety of academic support services to maximize your success. These services are available completely online to meet the needs of our online students.