Masters (MA) in Applied Environmental and Sustainability Studies
Learn to think in systems that underscore how human beings and nature can thrive on a rapidly changing planet. Gain skills in environmental studies, sustainability, and policy and governance. The interdisciplinary structure of this online program combines cutting-edge academic knowledge in environmental issues and questions of sustainability with oral and written communication and problem solving.
At a Glance
Credits and Tuition Cost (2023-2024)
Masters in Applied Environmental and Sustainability Studies overview
What You'll Learn
21st Century Careers in Environmental and Sustainability Fields
The climate crisis, environmental justice challenges, and the visioning of sustainable futures are some of the most urgent issues of our time. We are enthusiastic about the power of online education on these issues to make advanced degrees accessible to working professionals and non-traditional students. In this vein, our program brings a range of media (e.g., podcasts, video lectures, documentaries, academic and popular readings) and assignments (e.g., written, audio, and video responses; research projects; writing for a general audiences, such as op-eds or blog posts) into classes to appeal to students with different learning styles and backgrounds.
Our teaching is oriented around publicly engaged practice with a focus on project-based, experiential, and community-based learning that brings academic work done online into the real world in ways that feel timely and relevant to each student. We look forward to working closely with students online each term to engage with the course material and help students to identify and hone their interests and the application of these interests in their future careers.
- Analyze complex environmental and sustainability issues from a variety of interdisciplinary perspectives
- Critical thinking skills to create sustainability solutions to the planet's environmental challenges
- Effectively communicate environmental issues and sustainability solutions through scientific and non-scientific writing
- Recognize and engage in practices that work toward social and environmental justice
- Core classes include:
- ENS 601 Environmental and Sustainability Studies: Issues and Ideas
- ENS 602 Environment and Sustainability Policy and Governance
- ENS 603 Communicating Environmental Knowledge
- Plus electives that relate to environmental and sustainability studies
How to Apply
Licensure & Authorization
Where you live matters when completing distance education activities. If you will live outside of Kentucky while completing your program, please check the Distance Learning Authorization & Licensure page to confirm that the program can be offered in your state or country, and if relevant, that it meets professional licensure requirements in your state. Please note: Admission and enrollment in a fully-online program can NOT lead to the issuance of a J-1 or F-1 student visa.AUTHORIZATION & LICENSURE INFO
Once you become a student, you will have access to a wide variety of academic support services to maximize your success. These services are available completely online to meet the needs of our online students.