Doctorate (Ph.D.) in Education Sciences - Physical Education Option
Dive into research and gain more insight into physical education. Go beyond physical activity promotion and dive into research topics and courses that address epidemiology, sociology, behavior science, and public health. This online doctoral program suits physical education instructors, higher education researchers and athletic directors.
At a Glance
Credits and Tuition Cost (2023-2024)
Doctorate in Education Sciences - Physical Education Option overview
What You'll Learn
Students are admitted into our program through a mentor-based admission process, under the direct supervision of a specific faculty member. We encourage you to identify the faculty member with whom you wish to work with prior to applying to the program. For a brief introduction and contact information, you may view the bios of:
In addition to getting acquainted with our faculty, you will have the opportunity to discuss research interests and potential dissertation areas. Our program typically takes between 3-5 years, including your dissertation.
- KHP 601 Teaching Effectiveness and Leadership in KHP
- KHP 602 Promoting Physical Activity for Youth
- KHP 579 Adapted Physical Education
- KHP 644 Research Techniques Applied to Kinesiology and Health Promotion KHP 674 – Foundations of Health Promotion
- KHP 675 Health Assessments
- EDC 610 Discipline & Classroom Management
- EDP 613 Social Psychological Issues in Education
- EDP 614 Motivation and Learning
- EDS 580 Special Education
- EPE 617 Introduction to Higher Education
- EPE 672 College Teaching and Learning
- EPE 684 Higher Education and Athletics
- EPE 653 History of Higher Education
- EPE 703 Preparing Research Proposals
- EDC 712 The Elementary School (Curriculum Theory)
How to Apply
- A master’s degree or 30 semester hours of approved graduate course work with a 3.0 GPA.
- A combined Verbal and Quantitative GRE score of 297 (minimum verbal score of 153 and Quantitative score of 144) on the revised GRE test taken on August 1, 2011 or after.
- A sample of scholarly writing
- Three (3) letters of recommendation
Licensure & Authorization
Where you live matters when completing distance education activities. If you will live outside of Kentucky while completing your program, please check the Distance Learning Authorization & Licensure page to confirm that the program can be offered in your state or country, and if relevant, that it meets professional licensure requirements in your state. Please note: Admission and enrollment in a fully-online program can NOT lead to the issuance of a J-1 or F-1 student visa.AUTHORIZATION & LICENSURE INFO
Once you become a student, you will have access to a wide variety of academic support services to maximize your success. These services are available completely online to meet the needs of our online students.