Masters (Ed.S. / M.Ed.) in Educational Leadership
Expand your expertise as a leader or teacher who is part of the education system. This graduate-level program is for teachers, instructors, and leaders who wish to earn a a Master of Education (M.Ed.) or a Specialist in Education (Ed.S.) degree.
Kentucky students in the Masters of Educational Leadership may achieve either Rank II or Rank I designations through the Education Professional Standards Board.
Kentucky students in the EdS program may achieve either Rank II or Rank I designations through the Education Professional Standards Board.
At a Glance
Credits and Tuition Cost (2023-2024)
Masters in Educational Leadership overview
What You'll Learn
- Develop the skills needed to foster a learning-centered school environment where all students can achieve their highest level of performance.
- Identify research strategies that can be used to diagnose problems in classrooms and schools and identify solutions.
- Use data to make informed decisions that improve learning outcomes across classrooms and schools.
- Cultivate a network of teacher leaders to consult with after you graduate.
- EDL 700 Knowledge Base
- EDL 701 Leadership in Educational Organizations I
- EDL 702 Leadership for Organizational Learning
- EDL 703 Leading Organizational Change
- EDL 571 Design Thinking in Education
- EDL 669 Leadership for Creative Problem Solving
How to Apply
- Personal Statement
- Please write 2-3 double‐spaced pages, word‐processed in either Times New Roman 12‐point or Arial 10‐point, page numbers and your name in upper right corner about why you are applying to the program. If you cite literature/resources to support your comments, adhere to the academic writing guidelines provided in 6th edition of the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association.
- Writing Sample
- If applying for Teacher Leader Endorsement or rank change prepare a Professional Reflection (2-3 double-spaced pages, word-processed in either Times New Roman 12-point or Ariel 10-point, page numbers and your name in upper right corner). Describe how your classroom evidences the components of highly effective teaching and learning (i.e., learning climate, classroom assessment and reflection, instructional rigor and student engagement, instructional relevance, knowledge of content). If you cite literature or resources to support your comments, then you must adhere to the academic writing guidelines provided in 6th edition of the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association.
- If applying for Teacher Leader Endorsement or rank change a copy of your valid K12 teacher certificate.
- M.Ed. applicants must hold a baccalaureate degree, preferably education-based, from a fully accredited institution of higher learning in the USA or from a recognized foreign institution with cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Ed. S. applicants must have successfully completed a master’s degree, preferably education-based, from a fully accredited institution of higher learning in the USA or from a recognized foreign institution with cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- Experience working as a P12 teacher or as another type of educational practitioner is highly recommended.
Licensure & Authorization
Where you live matters when completing distance education activities. If you will live outside of Kentucky while completing your program, please check the Distance Learning Authorization & Licensure page to confirm that the program can be offered in your state or country, and if relevant, that it meets professional licensure requirements in your state. Please note: Admission and enrollment in a fully-online program can NOT lead to the issuance of a J-1 or F-1 student visa.AUTHORIZATION & LICENSURE INFO
Once you become a student, you will have access to a wide variety of academic support services to maximize your success. These services are available completely online to meet the needs of our online students.